Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Reflecting on Learning

This course and this program have given me the opportunity to explore and reflect in ways that help me to be more responsible for the learning not just of young children and families but also for myself. As I move forward in my career as an early childhood professional, my hope is that I am able to engage in reflective teaching and learning as I practice the responsibilities of integrating anti-bias curriculum into the classrooms that I am a part of. It is my sincerest hope that I can inspire and be a part of a classroom that acknowledges differences and remains open to them and learns to investigate them and discover new things about what makes us similar even though we have things that are different about us. I hope that this information will transfer to families and become a part of our learning community. I hope that I can also inspire other educators to be open to this kind of curriculum and implement it in the way that is supportive of the needs of young children and families.

I am so glad that I have had the opportunity to share my thoughts on these topics with all of you and your thoughts have really provided me with different perspectives that have made me expand and build upon my own. Thank you for your genuine support in our learning community and I wish nothing but the best for you all and much success as this journey is beginning to come to a close for us. Good luck and bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. Adaiah,

    Inspiring others to practice –or learn about- anti-bias curriculum is a task we can accomplish through the practice of this curriculum. There is no better way to teach others than through our example. Sometimes, I feel like having the great responsibility to be a good anti-bias practitioner, in order to inspire others to change their practices, face the challenge to reflect on their unconscious biases, and start working on them. Certainly, we all have the responsibility to help children feel comfortable with and accept the differences that make them be who they are.

    Thanks for sharing Adaiah, and I wish you the best in the last course and with future plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ms. Negron,
    I never learned where you live, or where you were from or even the meaning of your name. But I have enjoyed learning with you and my colleagues. We have come to the end of this journey, you are correct yet we are opening the door to a new journey of learning about diversity and the anti-bias curriculum. Not many people will have the fortune we will experience. I have always wanted to communicate with families in an empowering way and now this is that magic. I want to use this curriculum to teach about social bias, stereo-types and injustices. We are living in a global world where our education can reach far beginning with our young children. I hope too that I can begin this journey today and continue to capture the very essence of the anti-bias curriculum whether it is in the classroom, my community, working with parents or beginning students in early childhood development. I believe that we have so far to go, so much more to learn, but this is a great start.

    ReplyDelete